Monday, October 24, 2016
WTF, thinking ahead to 2017 sounds insane, but not joking I am looking forward to 2017.
2016 was just not my year, not saying that it was terrible just didn't go as well as I could hope for. While the year started off not so well, I am getting things back on track and things are looking up!
That is why I am excited for 2017, a year which means the last portion of my Ph.D., the last full year in Scotland, the last year where I can call myself a full-time student and lastly a year which I plan to continue working on me! With 2017 approaching faster than most of us would like I have already thought about Things that I plan on in 2017!
- No Shopping in 2017- This is a MASSIVE GOAL - but I will explain about this in a later blog post.
- Run a 5k. Run a 10k.
- Actually, blog and share content that I love. This blog is something that makes me get out and explore, take photos and share what I think (plus it helps me get into the writing mood).
- Figure out a morning routine, one that involves waking up between 6-7:30am each morning. I need to start making time in the morning to the gym and then head to uni all before 9:30ish
- Set 3 weight/workout goals for the year and achieve them all! (Again another post coming)
- Read 12 books.
- Dress for success & myself. I am not talking about a full on business suit, but I do feel better about myself depending on the clothes that I am wearing/how I look. So stepping up from my usual leggings and t-shirt shouldn't be too much of an issue.
- Set goals (weekly/monthly/quarterly) - in particular, writing goals to finish out my Ph.D.
- Publish TWO papers before the end of the year (or at least have them in review)
- Make connections in my field over the next year ---- because when it's time for a job it's all about who you know!
- Head to 3 conferences.
- Figure out the best Uni Work schedule for myself. Of course, this will vary depending on the events each week, but I need to figure out how to manage my time and have that include working at the University. (Hopefully at my actual desk/office if they get that all arranged)
- Learn some basic coding skills. Not sure what language, but I know that the more skills that I can learn now, the easier it will be to apply in the future if needed.
- Try out different working methods (Pomodoro Technique, Getting Things Done (GTD), Don't Break the Chain, Action Method) and figure out what works best for me!
- Explore Paris , Vienna and Prague (trips booked for 2017)
- Learn basic Spanish and French. I want to be able to communicate some of the basics!
- Use my Historic Scotland pass and visit 10 sites!
- Visit the Royal Yacht Britannia. Visit Holyrood Palace.
- Weekend break to a new city in the UK. Any suggestions, please let me know!
- Rent a car and head up to the Highlands - possibly a long weekend getaway.
- Each month explore a new section of Edinburgh(ish) --- Dean Village ; Stockbridge ; Duddingston ; Royal Botanic Gardens ; Waterway of Leith ; Inchcolm ; Forth ; Scottish National Portrait Gallery/ The Georgian House ; Royal Observatory ( Blackford Hill) ; Belhaven Bay & Portobello ; Lauriston Castle.